For the past 5 years we have been building and developing tracking systems that provide teachers with a way to enter their raw data for each unit of a course. Our course-specific tracking systems apply the exact calculations the exam boards do, using the published grade boundaries from the very latest exam series to provide an accurate overall mark and grade of where your students are at now. Our trackers are built to take into account missed units or assessments too and the flexibility of adding your own internal assessments.
We have been adapting and adding additional functionality to our platform to support teachers and leaders through the whole process for teacher grading for 2020. We will be continuing to refine the tools as more information is released. To be clear, Pupil Progress won’t calculate the Teacher Judgements or rankings for you, but gives you all the tools you need to make it as well informed and as robust as possible. It will make any conversations between professionals around the grade decisions to be transparent for all involved.
The trackers are flexible enough that any relevant raw data you currently have can be utilised, supporting the decisions and any discussions around the grades you are going to submit. Using our trackers you can easily:
- Get an accurate Current Working at Grade and Average Unit Grade to inform your teacher judgements
- Take snapshots of your current data to refer back to the start point (Period prior to exam cancellation)
- Make adjustments to your current raw marks at a unit level for each student to give an overall course mark
- Use our trackers to record validated Teacher Judgements
- Get clarity and confidence on how teachers have come to decide on their students grades
Internal verification of the grades across a subject will support leaders to check the grades across a cohort. Our analysis and reporting tools will:
- give you instant breakdowns of grades per subject to compare to previous years
- give you breakdowns for different sub-groups of students
- provide a ranking tool that you can use as a start point to make informed adjustments
- download all your final grades on one spreadsheet across a subject or whole school
We know this is going to be a challenging time and teachers will want to get this right. Our priority is in supporting teachers to feel confident in the grades they are submitting for their students and to reduce the risk of having grades being moderated down. We feel that under these extremely unusual circumstances and due to the importance of students being awarded fair, accurate grades, we are in a great position to support you in this process and so have made our tracking free to all schools to remove any possible barriers.
Our advice is to be prepared with your current data; don’t rush the process or start grading or ranking now. Be well informed and follow the guidance from the exam boards when it is released. We are doing this too and we will support you through the entire process.